Ph. D., Chemical and Biochemical Engineering, Rutgers University- Piscataway, NJ
M.S., Chemical and Biochemical Engineering, Rutgers University- Piscataway, NJ
B.S.E. Cum Laude, Chemical Engineering, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, MI
Biosystems Analysis and Design
Fermentations and bioprocess engineering
Cell and tissue engineering
Graduate research methods
Bioprocess engineering and biosensors
Detection of pathogens in drinking water
Lung cell spectroscopy
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE)
- American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers (ASABE)
- American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE)
- Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES)
- Institute of Biological Engineering (IBE)
- Executive board member of BIOSA (Biotechnology Industry Organization of Southern Arizona) (2011-2012)
- Inaugural Editor-in-chief, Journal of Biological Engineering (2006–2009)
- Editor-in-chief Emeritus and Associate Editor, Journal of Biological Engineering (2009-present)
- Editor for Patents and Literature Reviews, Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology (1998-2005)
LEAD-21 Leadership Development Program Class VII (2011-2012).
Institute of Biological Engineering Leadership Award (2011).
University of Arizona Academic Leadership Institute (2010-2011).
President of IBE (Institute of Biological Engineering) for 2010; President-elect (2009); Past-President (2011).
Biomedical Engineering Builders’ Award (University of Arizona), 2009.
Presidential Citation, Institute of Biological Engineering in recognition of service as Editor-in-chief for launching Journal of Biological Engineering (2008).
Awarded the first Arizona Innovation Award presented by Governor Janet Napolitano (2007).
Award for “Excellence in Advising” (student nominated) University of Arizona Honors College (2007).
Presidential Citation, Institute of Biological Engineering in recognition of service as Editor-in-chief responsible for developing the Journal of Biological Engineering (2007).
University of Arizona Dean of Students Faculty Fellow (2001-2004; 2005-2009).
Presidential Citation, Institute of Biological Engineering in recognition of hosting the annual conference (2006).
National Association of Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture, Teaching Award of Merit, University of Arizona, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, (2002).
Alpha Epsilon, Agricultural Engineering Honor Society (1998-present).
Merck Excellence Fellowship (1993-1995).
NIH Biotechnology Pre-doctoral Fellowship (1990-1993).
Dean’s List - University of Michigan (1988, 1989).