Biomass thermochemical gasification
- B.Tech. Agricultural and Food Engineering, Indian Institue of Technology (Kharagpur, India)
- M.S. Agricultural and Biological Systems Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Ph.D. Agricultural and Biological Systems Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
- Biomass thermochemical conversions: gasification and pyrolysis
- Characterization of biomass for thermochemical conversions
- Modeling biomass conversion processes
- Syngas cleanup and conditioning
- Syngas conversion into power, fuels and chemicals
- Synthesis and evaluation of catalysts for fuels and chemicals production
- Utilization of biochar
- Yang, Z., A. Kumar, R. L. Huhnke, M. D. Buser, S. Capareda. 2016. Pyrolysis of eastern red cedar: distribution and characteristics of fast and slow pyrolysis products. Fuel. 166:157-165.
- Qian, K. and A. Kumar. 2015. Reforming of lignin-derived tars over char-based catalyst using Py-GC/MS. Fuel. 162: 47-54.
- Yang, Z., A. Kumar, R. L. Huhnke. 2015. Review of Recent Developments to Improve Storage and Transportation Stability of Bio-oil. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews. 50:859-870..
- Bhoi, P. R., R.L. Huhnke, A. Kumar, K. N Patil, J. R. Whiteley. 2015. Design and development of a bench scale vegetable oil based wet packed bed scrubbing system for removing producer gas tar compounds. Fuel Processing Technology. 134:243-250.
- Bhoi, P. R., R.L. Huhnke, A. Kumar, M. E. Payton, K. N Patil, J. R. Whiteley. 2015. Vegetable oil as a solvent for removing producer gas tar compounds. Fuel Processing Technology. 133:97-104.
- Qian, K. A. Kumar, D.D. Bellmer, W. Yuan, D. Wang, M. Eastman. (2015). Physical properties and reactivity of char obtained from downdraft gasification of sorghum and eastern red cedar. Fuel. 143: 383-389.
- Bhoi, P.R., R.L. Huhnke, K. Singarapu, A. Kumar and M. E. Payton. 2015. Solubility enhancement of producer gas tar compounds in water using sodium dodecyl sulfate as a surfactant. Fuel Processing Technology. 133: 75-79.
- Frazier, R., E. Jin, A. Kumar. 2015. Life Cycle Assessment of Biochar versus Metal Catalysts Used in Syngas Cleaning. Energies. 8(1): 621-644.
- Bhoi, P.R., R.L. Huhnke, J.R. Whiteley, S. Gebreyohannes, and A. Kumar. 2015. Equilibrium stage based model of a vegetable oil based wet packed bed scrubbing system for removing producer gas tar compounds. Separation and Purification Technology. 142: 196-202.
- Qian, K., A. Kumar, H. Zhang, D. D. Bellmer, R. L. Huhnke. 2015. Recent Advances in Utilization of Biochar. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews. 42:1055-1064. Doi: 10.1016/j.rser.2014.10.074.
- Wang, Duo, Wenqiao Yuan*, Donghai Wang, and Ajay Kumar. (2014). A char-supported nano-NiO catalyst for biomass syngas cleanup and conditioning. Transactions of ASABE.
- Bhandari, Pushpak N., A. Kumar*, and Raymond L. Huhnke. (Available online in 2013). Simultaneous removal of toluene (model tar), NH3, and H2S, from biomass-generated producer gas using biochar-based and mixed-metal oxide catalysts. Energy & Fuels.
- Bhandari, Pushpak N., A. Kumar*, Danielle Bellmer, and Raymond L. Huhnke. (2013). Synthesis and evaluation of biochar-derived catalysts for removal of toluene (model tar) from biomass-generated producer gas. Renewable Energy. doi:10.1016/j.renene.2013.12.017.
- Sarkar, Madhura, A. Kumar*, Jaya Shankar Tumuluru, Krushna Patil, and Danielle Bellmer (2013). Thermal Devolatilization Kinetics of Switchgrass Pretreated with Torrefaction and Densification. Special Issue of Transactions of ASABE.
- Penn, Chad*, Derek. Heeren, Garey Fox, and A. Kumar (2013). Application of isothermal calorimetry to phosphorus sorption onto soils in a flow-through system. Soil Science Society of America Journal. In Press. doi:10.2136/sssaj2013.06.0239.
- Sharma, Ashokkumar, M. A. Kumar*, and Raymond L. Huhnke. 2014 (Available online in 2013). Effect of steam injection location on syngas obtained from an air-steam gasifier. Fuel. 388-394.
- Qian, Kezhen, Ajay Kumar, Krushna Patil, Danielle Bellmer, Donghai Wang, Wenqiao Yuan, Raymond L Huhnke. 2013. Effects of biomass feedstocks and gasification conditions on the physiochemical properties of biochar. Energies. 6(8): 3972-3986.
- Sharma, A. M., A. Kumar, K. N. Patil and R. L. Huhnke. 2013. Fluidization characteristics of a mixture of gasifier solid residues, switchgrass and inert material. Powder Technology. 235: 661-668.
- Pasangulapati, V., A. Kumar, C. L. Jones, and R. L. Huhnke. 2012. Characterization of switchgrass, cellulose, hemicellulose and lignin for thermochemical conversions. Journal of Biobased Materials and Bioenergy. 6(3):249-258.
- Pasangulapati, V., K. D. Ramachandriya, A. Kumar, M. R. Wilkins, C. L. Jones, and R. L. Huhnke. 2012. Effects of cellulose, hemicellulose and lignin on thermochemical conversion characteristics of the selected biomass. Bioresource Technology. 114: 663-669.
- Sharma, A. M., A. Kumar, K. N. Patil, and R. L. Huhnke. 2011. Performance evaluation of a lab-scale fluidized bed biomass gasifier using switchgrass as feedstock. Transactions of ASABE. 54(6):2259-2266.
- Mudinoor, A. R., D. Bellmer, L. Marin, A. Kumar, R. Huhnke. Conversion of toluene (model tar) using selected steam reforming catalysts. Transactions of ASABE. 54(5):1819-1827.
- Kumar, A., Y. Demirel, D. D. Jones, and M. A. Hanna. 2010. Optimization and economic evaluation of industrial gas production and combined heat and power generation from gasification of corn stover and distillers grains. Bioresource Technology 101(2010):3696-3701.
- Kumar, A., D. D. Jones, and M. A. Hanna. 2009. Thermochemical biomass gasification: A review of the current status of the technology. Energies 2(3):556-581.
- Kumar, A., Y. Demirel, H. Noureddini, D. D. Jones, and M. A. Hanna. 2009. Simulation of corn stover and distillers grains gasification with Aspen Plus. Transactions of ASABE. 52(6):1989-1995.
- Kumar, A., K. Eskridge, D. D. Jones, and M. A. Hanna. 2009. Steam-air fluidized bed gasification of distillers grains: effects of steam to biomass ratio, equivalence ratio and gasification temperature. Bioresource Technology 100(6):2062-2068.
- L. Wang, A. Kumar, C. L. Weller, M. A. Hanna, and D. D. Jones. 2009. Thermal degradation kinetics of distillers grains in nitrogen and air. Energy Sources, Part A: Recovery, Utilization, and Environmental Effects 31(10):797-806.
- H. Pushpadass, A. Kumar, D. Jackson, R. Wehling, J. Dumais, and M. A. Hanna. 2009. Macromolecular changes in extruded starch-films plasticized with glycerol, water and stearic acid. Starch 5(5):256-266.
- Kumar, A., L. Wang, D. Yuris, D. D. Jones, and M. A. Hanna. 2008. Thermogravimetric characterization of corn stover as gasification and pyrolysis feedstock. Biomass and Bioenergy 32:460-467.
- Kumar, A., G. M. Ganjyal, David D. Jones, and M. A. Hanna. 2008. Modeling residence time distribution in a twin-extruder as a series of ideal steady-state flow reactors. Journal of Food Engineering 84:441-448.