- B.Eng., Food Science and Technology, Southwest Agricultural University-P. R. China
- M.S., Food Science and Technology, Southwest Agricultural University-P. R. China
- Ph.D., Food Science and Technology (Focus on Food and Bioprocess Engineering), University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Curriculum Vitae (CV):Updated Resume
Areas of Research and Professional Interest
- Assistant Professor, Agricultural Research Station, Virginia State University, 09/2010-present
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Biological Systems Engineering, University of Nebraska, 02/2011-02/2016
- Research Assistant Professor, Department of Biological Systems Engineering, University of Nebraska, 12/2008-09/2010
- Post-doctorate Research Associate, Industrial Agricultural Products Center, University of Nebraska, 6/2005-11/2008
- Research Assistant, Food Science and Technology, University of Nebraska, 8/2001‑5/2005
- Assistant Professor, Food Science and Technology, Ocean University of China, 7/1996 - 6/2001
(1) Park, H., Graef, G., Xu, Y., Clemente, T. 2014. Stacking of a stearoyl-ACP thioesterase with a dual silenced palmitoyl-ACP thioesterase and ∆12 fatty acid desaturase in transgenic soybean. Plant Biotechnology Journal. Doi 10.111/pbi.12209.
(2) Xu, Y.X., Sismour, E., Grizzard, C., Thomas, M., Pestov, D, Huba, Z., Wang, T., Bhardwaj, H.L. (2014). Morphological, structural, and thermal properties of starch nanocrystals affected by different botanic crops. Cereal Chemistry, 91, 383-388.
(3) Xu., Y.X., Thomas. M., Bhardwaj, H.L. 2014. Chemical composition, functional properties, and microstructural characteristics of chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) seed as affected by varieties and thermal processing. International Journal of Food Science and Technology,49, 1215-1223.
(4) Xu, Y.X., Grizzard, C., Sismour, E., Bhardwaj, H.L., Li Z. 2013. Resistant starch content, molecular structure and physicochemical properties of starches in Virginia-grown corn, potato, and mungbean. Journal of Cereals and Oilseeds 4(1), 10-18.
(5) Xu, Y.X., Sismour, E.N., Narina, S.S., Dean, D., Bhardwaj, H.L., and Li, Z. 2013. Compositions and properties of seeds and starches from Virginia-grown chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) cultivars. International Journal of Food Science and Technology, 48(3), 539-547.
(6) Xu, Y.X., Sismour, E.N., Parry, J., Hanna, M.A., Li, H.W. 2012. Nutritional composition and antioxidant activity in hazelnut shells from US-grown cultivars. International Journal of Food Science and Technology 47(5): 940-946.
(7) Xu, Y.X., Sismour, E.N., Pao, S., Rutto, L., Grizzard, C., and Ren, S. 2012. Textural and microbiological qualities of vegetable soybean (edamame) affected by blanching and storage conditions. Journal of Food Processing and Technology 3:7.
(8) Zhang, S.J., Xu, Y.X., and Hanna, M.A. 2012. Pretreatment of corn stover with twin-screw extrusion followed by enzymatic saccharification. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology 166 (2): 458-469.
(9) Zhang, S.J., Keshwani, D.R., Xu, Y.X. and Hanna, M.A. 2012. Alkali combined extrusion pretreatment of corn stover to enhance enzyme saccharification. Industrial Crops and Products 37 (1): 352-357.
(10) Xu, Y.X., Bianchini, A., and Hanna, M.A. 2011. Evaluation of Mold and Mycotoxin Contaminations in Hybrid Hazelnuts Grown in Nebraska. Journal of Food Processing and Technology, 2, 5.
(11) Xu, Y.X., and Hanna, M.A. 2011. Nutritional and anti-nutritional compositions of defatted Nebraska hybrid hazelnut meal. International Journal of Food Science and Technology, 46, 2022-2049.
(12) Xu, Y.X., and Hanna, M.A. 2010. Hydrolysis of hemicellulose in DDGS using dilute acid. Industrial Crops and Products, 32 (3), 512-517.
(13) Xu, Y.X., and Hanna, M.A. 2010. Nutritional quality and oxidative stability of oil extracted from hybrid hazelnuts. International Journal of Food Science and Technology, 45 (11), 2329-2336.
(14) Xu, Y.X., Hanna, M.A. and Isom, L. 2010. Adding value to carbon dioxide from ethanol fermentations. Bioresource Technology, 101 (10), 3311-3319.
(15) Xu, Y.X., and Hanna, M.A. 2010. Evaluation of Nebraska hybrid hazelnuts: nut and kernel characteristics, proximate, oil and protein compositions. Industrial Crops and Products, 31 (1), 84-91.
Selected Grants (2010-2014)
(1) Fabrication and characterization of antimicrobial biodegradable nanocomposite films for food packaging application. USDA-NIFA-CBG. (PI). $291,165. FY 2013-2016.
(2) Building a bridge between farmers and food industry: setting standard criteria for chickpea physicochemical and functional properties for hummus preparation. Virginia Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services. (PI). $29,186. FY 2013-2015.
(3) New crops for tobacco farmers in Virginia. II. Chickpea and sesame. Virginia Tobacco Commission. (Co-PI). $185,000. FY 2013-2016.
(4) Revitalization of Virginia tobacco farms through high value edamame production: Demonstration, education, and marketing (Phase II). Virginia Tobacco Commission. (Co-PI). $163,003. FY 2013-2016.
(5) Effect of blanching and storage conditions on in-pod and shelled vegetable soybean. (Edamame).Virginia Agricultural Council. (PI) $12,000. FY 2011-2-12.
(6) Increasing commercial value of byproducts from hybrid hazelnuts grown in NE-recovery of natural antioxidants and anti-cancer ingredients. Nebraska Department of Agriculture Specialty Crop Block Grant-Farm Bill. (Co-PI). $30,000. FY 2010-2011.